Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Keep screaming little baby girl

This pretty much sums up the feeling...
Pregnancy and birth analogies are helpful to me in my times of not knowing and waiting.  I feel restless lately in discerning my next vocational steps.  This prayer was given to me by a special mentor when I was at a similar crossroads years ago.  I find myself drawn back to its call for screaming and crying, speaking and breathing.  The images of darkness, waiting, participating in a process that changes me but is not under my control feel all to familiar.  There hasn't been much space in my life these last few weeks for reflection, writing or birth work and my spirit is feeling the effects.  I am posting this today to give myself a bit of a spiritual jump start. 

The Midwife’s Prayer

Keep screaming little baby girl.
Keep practicing using those lungs
And do not stop,
Because hollering will help
To ease the shock
Every time you go through
Another birth.

Practice squalling
So that your voice is clear and strong
When you speak,
And when your breath
Has been knocked from you,
Practice breathing small,
But do not stop

There are miles
Of blood vessels in those lungs;
Use every inch,
And know the voices
That run in those veins,
The voices that fill your breath,
That will inhabit
Your words when you speak
And your groans when you weep
And your mouth when you laugh
And your cries in nights of wild love
And your whispers when you pray.

So keep screaming, little baby girl,
Not for that warm, dark place you lost,
But for all the darkness
You will find inside you
That will need to be spoken
With words only you can say.


--Jan Richardson

No comments:

Post a Comment